Pages

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

O'Brien Guitars Steel String Voicing Course

I just completed this 2 day workshop at O'Brien Guitars and while I did know the process and the steps involved in voicing a top for a steel string guitar it was great to be able to do that process with a master luthier and see and hear just how things should progress through the process...




Crossover Nylon String Finished

Well it took a bit longer than I hope and had it's challenges but the Crossover is finished..

Sounds decent I think.

Despite the issues getting it finished I think I might end up doing another at some point.







Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Just Need Some Strings

Feels good to be finally ready for setup and strings on this guitar. I'm very curious to see how it sounds as it is my first excursion int the classical/nylon sting world.

It is a basic classical body shape but with a narrower  and radiused fretboard. Bracing is based on a Flamenco guitar plan but modified to hopefully give back some sustain. ( Sorry Paco)..


Wednesday, May 24, 2017

FINALLY.. a Polished Finish!

Well that took a couple of do overs and a bit of cursing but finally go the finish on the Crossover Guitar done.. Used Royal Lac Post Catalyzed finish.. Works nice once I sorted out all my issues..

Now I need to finish the bridge, do the fret ends and glue on the bridge...






Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Making Rosettes

I've changed my process for making rosettes (at least segmented wood rosettes) So I now use a CNC set up to cut the rosette pieces and then route the rosette channel and glue in the pieces.

Since I am going to a guitar top voicing course the first weekend in June I needed to prepare 3 guitar tops to take to the course so that gave me some practice with this new technique..

Top #1
Pieces cut on CNC ready to install

Dry run pre cutting the rosette slot

Cutting the rosette slot

Completed Slot

Ready to be glued in

All glued in

Leveled ready for the slots to be routed for outer & inner purfling

Completed rosette

Closeup
Top #2



Top #3





More Finish Work

I had started finish sanding and buffing the Crossover guitar but decided it needed a bit more finish on it. So I went back and did that and it is now curing again before attempt #2 and buffing it out.

Oh well best it looks nice..

Friday, March 31, 2017

Finishing and Starting

Nice when things progress smoothly..

The Crossover guitar has had it coats of Royal-Lac post catalyzed finish applied, A new finish that I am trying for the first time and so far so good, it does get very good reviews by those who have tried it. it needs to cure for 5 days then I can buff/polish it.

The Tenor Ukulele is done and plays actually quite nice despite all the build issues.

The Celtic Hap has had the pillar and neck cut to shape and I need to start on the soundboard glue up soon.

Also new projects are getting going:

I've jointed 3 tops to take to the guitar voicing course I'm going to in June so I just need to fit the rosettes to those and they are ready to go.  Of course that will take some time as I am trying a slightly different way of building rosettes as I mentioned earlier.

I've also started another Tenor Ukulele this one using Wenge (left over from the crossover guitar) and Western Red Cedar.

Lastly I've started a bit of an experimental instrument. I really like the Mandocello sound but personally don't play double courses of strings very well and also that low C on a Mandocello is tough to get enough tension on using a scale length I like so I'm trying what I call a Cello Guitar. A 4 string guitar tuned to Cello tuning CGDA and using nylon strings designed for Goldtone's Cello Banjo... I just need to decide on the bracing for the top.  I'm using a Gibson L0 body shape so either a classical style fan bracing or maybe a version of Gibson old H bracing for that body style. We will see..

"Scraps" from cutting out the harp parts, I'll need to find some way of  using all that Koa and Walnut

The start of a Tenor Uke

Tenor Uke Rosette, Koa on Western Red Cedar